I have enjoyed participating in a lot of reading groups at the University of Illinois. These have either been organized ad hoc, or through the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities (IPRH), or the former Center on Democracy in a Multiracial Society.
- 2001, “The Arts and Humanities in Civic Life,” IPRH
We hosted Sheila Radford-Hill (now at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa) and Suzanne Lacy (now at Otis College of Art and Design).
- 2003-07, “Critical Studies of Whiteness,” Center on Democracy.
- 2005, “Performance Studies,” IPRH
Organized by Julia Walker; we hosted Moira Roth, Mills College, Oakland, CA
- 2006-08, “Critical Spatial Practices,” IPRH
- 2008, “Race, Space and Law ,” with Ryan Griffis, Ken Salo, Merle Bowen
The readings and conversations in these groups have really informed my research and writing, as well as shaped my social life.